Jamie DeBaie Municipal Election Candidate Profile
Name: Jamie DeBaie
Municipality: Carleton Place
Position Sought: Councillor
Currently Retired or Working (where?): Senior Financial Advisor at Scotiabank
Former Elected Positions/Terms if applicable: N/A
Community volunteer experience (service clubs, local committees, fundraising, etc): Carleton Place Police service board 2009-2017, Monthly Church breakfast for Charity fundraiser hosted by the Knights of Columbus, Former Parent school council both St Mary’s and St Gregory’s, Former Mississippi little league coach, Former Beaver Leader (Carleton Place Scouts)
Top 3 issues facing your municipality and its residents that council has control or major influence over:
1. A cooperative council that works towards meeting the needs of town residents
2. Affordable housing for our senior citizens
3. Engaged youth to become our community builders and future leaders
Your solutions/approach to those 3 issues:
1. Having a council that works for the people: listening to concerns of citizens through town hall meetings and information sessions and involving them in the process of decision making for the town regarding development, environment, and future growth.
2. One of the greatest challenges we face as our population ages is affordable housing for our seniors. We need to work with our developers, community partners, and all levels of government to come up with a win/win situation where we have affordable housing and new development at the same time.
3. Engage our youth by creating a youth advisory council and inviting their input as they are our future leaders and community builders.
Do you own (or have a stake in) or operate a commercial/industrial business in your municipality? (Including vacant development lands or rental units): No