An early morning fire left one occupant of a house at 25 James Street in Smiths Falls on the doorstep of the building next door. Lieutenant Randy Normandin spoke to the Hometown reporter at 3:50 a.m.
“There was a fire in the kitchen, and one occupant who is out safely. He was there by himself. He’s okay.
“The fire was contained in the kitchen but there’s heavy damage. There were flames on the first floor when we first came up, but it’s been knocked down and we think we got it contained.”
Normandin could say no more about the damage until he’d gone inside.
Gas and hydro have been turned off to the residence and Normandin added that “that won’t affect anyone else [on the street], just that one location.”
Check back for further information.