Hometown News is a leading community media provider covering Lanark and Northern Leeds Grenville Counties. Our team is growing and we have an opening for a Freelance Reporter-Photographer. This is an ideal position for a retired journalist or someone looking for flexibility in their job. This is a part-time freelance position based in Smiths Falls with opportunity to turn into full time position.
- Covering regular meetings of council, breaking news, feature stories
- Sourcing and producing interesting and local newsworthy stories and features, along with compelling images for print and digital publications.
- Produce engaging content for website and social media including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written skills (Canadian Press Style).
- Familiar with Microsoft Word, Gmail and Google Calendar
- Competent with Social Media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and possess online posting skills
- Superior photography skills with an “eye” for capturing dynamic images.
- Required to travel throughout our coverage area to cover events and stories
- Availability outside of “Typical” work hours including evenings and weekends.
- Regular communication and coordination with the Managing Editor, Copy Editor and Graphics Team
- Diploma or Degree in Journalism or relevant experience.
- Strong Attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and a “nose for news”
- Self-starter with the ability to exercise solid judgment.
- Ideal candidate is actively involved in their community and cares about their community and matters affecting it.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver’s licence.
- Must have reliable laptop computer, appropriate digital camera and cell phone with data coverage.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment.
To apply, please send your resume, along with writing samples and a brief cover note explaining why you are interested in working with us to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all those who apply, but regret that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.