Susan Brandum Municipal Election Candidate Profile
Name: Susan Brandum
Municipality: Drummond North Elmsley
Position Sought: Councillor for North Elmsley Ward
Currently Retired or Working (where?): Work part-time as a writer, researcher, project developer.
Former Elected Positions/Terms if applicable: N/A
Community volunteer experience (service clubs, local committees, fundraising, etc): Two D/NE local history committees, Rideau Environmental Action League (REAL), Friends of the Tay Watershed, RVCA Rural Clean Water Program
Top 3 issues facing your municipality and its residents that council has control or major influence over:
1. Expected downloading of costs from the province to the municipalities.
2. Sometimes poor response to citizens’ concerns and lack of information.
3. D/NE is missing out on opportunities to assist its citizens reduce their contribution to climate change and prepare for the changes. Improve D/NE’s contribution to slowing climate change and preparing our citizens for the consequences.
Your solutions/approach to those 3 issues:
1. I intend to encourage D/NE and Lanark County to push back on direct and indirect downloads.
2. I believe D/NE can improve its communication with technology and a little effort at little cost. This would reduce complaints of poor response from the Township and not knowing what the Township was doing.
3. Municipalities are on the front line of slowing the increase in climate change and preparing citizens for change. Other municipalities in Lanark County and the area have formed Climate Change Committees. I intend to ensure the Township engages with this issue and takes full advantage of opportunities to help our citizens.
Do you own (or have a stake in) or operate a commercial/industrial business in your municipality? (Including vacant development lands or rental units): I own a home on 7 acres on the Tay River.