Steve Maynard Municipal Election Candidate Profile
Name: Steve Maynard
Municipality: Mississippi Mills
Position Sought: Mayor
Currently Retired or Working (where?): Self-employed, waiting to be licensed as a Paralegal
Former Elected Positions/Terms if applicable: Almonte Councillor 1991 – 1992
Community volunteer experience (service clubs, local committees, fundraising, etc): 25 year member of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 240 Almonte; Organized 2018 Mississippi Mills Family Fun Day; Brushed, weeded and planted flowers and decorative plants in Don Maynard Park. Most of the things my friends and I do for the community are to help those in need so they are kept private.
Top 3 issues facing your municipality and its residents that council has control or major influence over:
1. Crumbling Finances, Over-taxation and Out of Control Spending – Long term debt (excluding the Wastewater Treatment Plant debt) is projected to be $ 14.8 million; double the 2017 debt. Reserves are projected to be $ 4.27 million, a decrease of 25% in just two years.
2. Generally Poor Condition of Roads, Sidewalks and Infrastructure – Roads, sidewalks and infrastructure throughout Mississippi Mills are generally in a bad state of repair. Capital funding for repair and replacement has been inadequate for years and we now face significant expenditures just to make the worst safe and useable.
3. Opportunities for Youth – Mississippi Mills’ youth have few opportunities for fun, recreation, employment and volunteer work.
It’s very difficult to narrow the issues to only 3. In addition to the above, these very important matters need to be addressed as soon as possible: Council and staff accountability, transparency and openness; rural broadband internet and cell phone services; accessibility and inclusiveness; Community Official Plan Amendments taking away control of landowners; and affordable housing.
Your solutions/approach to those 3 issues:
1. With over 25 years accounting experience, I can lead Budget reviews to find savings to be used elsewhere. I will work towards delaying “nice to have” capital projects in favour of “must haves”. I will work with the new Council to permit rural development, and expand settlement boundaries to increase our residential tax base throughout Mississippi Mills.
2. I will work with the new Council and staff to identify roads, sidewalks and infrastructure requiring immediate attention and have the work completed as a priority over other projects. We have to re-direct money into these projects starting in 2019. The municipality’s share of funding requirements will come from existing sources; no tax increases will be needed.
3. I will try to find a new location that will allow for the complete planned skate park including lighting and places to sit and eat. I will volunteer to sit on the Youth Centre Board to have direct communication with Board members and our youth. I will encourage businesses to hire more youth. I will encourage organizations to advertise volunteer opportunities directly to youth. I will look for financial help for youth wanting to play sports but unable to pay fees or for gear.
Do you own (or have a stake in) or operate a commercial/industrial business in your municipality? (Including vacant development lands or rental units): No