On Monday, May 15th, the Smith Falls Fire Department received the call of an attic fire at 95 Main St. E. around 6:05 pm, when a neighbor reported smoke coming out of the back portion of the roof. Both Montague and Smiths Falls fire departments responded to the scene. Nobody was in the house at the time of the fire, but Lt. Andrew Fleming did save a feisty little dog named Taz from downstairs apartment.
The tenant from the upstairs unit was in the process of moving out but his major items are apparently lost to fire and water damage. Owner Don Hamilton awaits on word from his insurance if the building will be able to be saved or not. The attic and roof of the house was completely destroyed but the extent of further damages isn’t clear at this time.