Beverley Phillips Municipal Election Candidate Profile
Name: Beverley Phillips
Municipality: Tay Valley
Position sought: Councillor – Burgess Ward
Are you currently retired or working (what industry): Retired
Former elected positions/terms if applicable: N/A
Community volunteer experience (service clubs, local committees, fundraising, etc): Fundraising cancer, income tax for seniors
Please list the top three issues facing your municipality and its residents that you would like to tackle in the upcoming council term:
1. Expand tax base by encouraging development
2. Investigate perceived “frosty” relationship between builders & municipality
3. Continue to ensure the health of our lakes & rivers
Your solutions/approach to those three issues:
1. A large percentage of Tay Valley residents are age 65 & over (2016 census indicates 25.7% whereas the provincial average is 16.7%). Many seniors are on a fixed income. I believe attracting development to TVT is essential to allow people to be able to afford to live here. Attracting clean development is not a short term project. I would like to organize small key groups – stakeholders in community – who are directly affected by economy. They would define the problem & separate the problem from the symptoms. They would be tasked to find out what community will support & will not support. They should think big but act locally.
2. Ask Builders Association to form task force – to define problems then present and discuss issues / concerns with Council. Council must go into this discussion with an open mind and strong desire to make it work.
3. Spraying roadside weeds with toxic chemicals cannot be allowed. Alternate methods must be investigated. Mandatory septic system inspections are essential.
Do you own property or operate a business in the community you are seeking election in? Yes, property owner since 1983