Doug Barr Municipal Election Candidate Profile
Name: Doug Barr
Municipality: Tay Valley
Position Sought: Councillor
Currently Retired or Working (where?): Working, Musician
Former Elected Positions/Terms if applicable: N/A
Community volunteer experience (service clubs, local committees, fundraising, etc): Chair Sponsorship Stewart Park Festival
Top 3 issues facing your municipality and its residents that council has control or major influence over:
1. Fiscal Accountability and reporting
2. Affordable Housing
3. Climate Change – Severe Weather Emergency Preparation for various durations.
Your solutions/approach to those 3 issues:
1. Fiscal Accountability: We need to publish a Pie Graph each year with the Tax Bill showing previous year’s Expenditures. Included would be a short referendum inviting opinions and suggestions for increasing or decreasing various areas.
2. Tiny Homes is an area of interest. Perhaps a Tiny Homes subdivision owned by the Township and rented out to Low Income earners could be feasible.
3. 2 days/1 week/2 weeks/3 weeks emergency kits for home use could be studied and published to our residents. A review of flood plain levels is needed to assess if they are high enough.
Do you own (or have a stake in) or operate a commercial/industrial business in your municipality? (Including vacant development lands or rental units): Yes. 21 acres near Black Lake.