Measles cases surge in Ontario; no infections reported in Lanark, Leeds and Grenville
HEDDY SOROUR
Measles cases are surging across Ontario, but none have been reported in Lanark, Leeds and Grenville, according to the newly amalgamated South East Health Unit.
As of March 31, the South East Health Unit (SEHU) has recorded 35 confirmed measles cases across its region, which includes Hastings and Prince Edward, Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington, and Leeds, Grenville and Lanark. No cases have been reported in the LLG area, said Sara Hart, communications specialist for SEHU.
Across Ontario, there are 453 confirmed and 119 probable cases, bringing the provincial total to 572. Probable cases refer to individuals with symptoms that have not yet been confirmed through lab testing. That’s up sharply from 140 cases as of March 1, according to Health Canada’s measles and rubella tracking report. The agency is currently monitoring outbreaks in British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba.
Canada declared measles eliminated in 1998, meaning it was no longer spreading through local transmission. However, Health Canada reports an average of 91 cases per year since then, most often linked to travel from regions where the virus is still active.
The World Health Organization warns that measles is highly contagious and can remain airborne or live on surfaces for up to two hours. Symptoms usually begin with fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes, followed by a red blotchy rash that starts on the face and spreads across the body. Complications can include pneumonia, brain inflammation, blindness and even death.
“By working together to ensure that everyone who can get vaccinated has done so, we can prevent outbreaks and protect the most vulnerable in the community from measles and its complications,” said Hart.
On March 26, the health unit held a special MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) clinic in Brockville.
“The clinic was well attended with 13 appointments booked,” Hart told Hometown News.
The health unit is encouraging families to ensure their vaccinations are up to date. Those without a health-care provider can also receive immunizations directly through public health clinics.
The global resurgence of measles has been linked to declining vaccine coverage. A recent article in the Medical Science Monitor cited misinformation about vaccine side effects, reduced uptake during and after the COVID-19 pandemic, and a general lack of awareness about the severity of measles as key contributing factors.
Measles is preventable with a two-dose vaccine. Routine immunization clinics are currently being offered by SEHU, and vaccinations are also available through primary care providers.
Appointments can be booked through the SEHU website:
- Hastings and Prince Edward: hpepublichealth.ca/clinic/immunization-clinic
- Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington: kflaph.ca/en/clinics-and-classes/routine-immunization-clinics.aspx
- Leeds, Grenville and Lanark: healthunit.org/clinics-classes/immunization-clinic
SIDEBAR
Amalgamation
As of Jan. 1, 2025, Ontario’s Ministry of Health approved the voluntary merger of nine public health units into four regional entities. The South East Health Unit was formed from the amalgamation of Hastings and Prince Edward Counties Health Unit, Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington Health Unit, and the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit. All local public health services remain operational during the transition, with no immediate changes to programs or service delivery.