The meeting opened with the Annual Mississippi Mills Land Acknowledgement Ceremony, held by Council at the start of each year as a step to help re-establish relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in our community. Algonquin Elder Larry McDermott, from the Shabot Obaadjiwan First Nation, provided a smudging ceremony to open the meeting followed by the Land Acknowledgement Statement read by Mayor Lowry. Elder McDermott then addressed Council followed by questions and comments from Council. (Please see related press release for more information).
A Public Meeting was held regarding a Zoning By-law Amendment for 6299 County Road 29 to permit a battery storage facility by COMPASS. The matter will come before Council at a later meeting. If approved, Site Plan Control will also be required prior to the development proceeding.
Committee of the Whole also heard the following items, which will be brought forward for approval at a future Council meeting:
- Quarterly reports were received for Corporate Services and the Recreation Department.
- The award of an independent third party compensation review to Pesce and Associates to complete an independent market study of job positions.
- A Development Services & Engineering staffing proposal appointing Melanie Knight as the Director of Development Services & Engineering, in addition to the creation of a casual Manager of Engineering position and amending the job description of the Senior Planner to remove staff supervision duties. The proposal also includes the reallocation of $40,000 from the professional service fees budget to fund the casual Manager of Engineering position.
- The presentation of the Final Water and Wastewater Service Delivery Review and recommendations to improve future planning throught the development of a business plan and by building in-house knowledge of the water and wastewater treatment system.
- Allocations for the 2024 Mississippi Mills Municipal Grants, which recommends distributing $42,550 to community organizations this year.
- Hybrid Council Meeting – Tuesday, February 6, 2024, 6:00 p.m. Committee of the Whole meeting to follow council.
- Hybrid Council Meeting – Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 6:00 p.m. Committee of the Whole meeting to follow council.